Friday, March 26, 2010

Intralipids

As part of my treatment, I'll be receiving Intralipid medication to tame a slightly overactive immune system. Research suggests that many women with endometriosis may have implantation problems. While I don't know if this will be the case for me, my immunology labs suggest that I might be at a slightly elevated risk.


While Intralipids are somewhat of a newer treatment in the IVF world, my clinic has had some success with improving implantation rates with this relatively low-risk procedure. (One IV pre-transfer, followed by repeated IV's every 5 or 6 weeks of the first trimester.)

I feel that this is a very proactive step, and I'm happy that our clinic offers this resource. Other clinics we've talked to say the research just doesn't confirm/support the necessity for this treatment...well, maybe, and maybe not...as the research is currently being done. In other words, other clinics we've talked to don't necessarily focus on patients with endometriosis/immune issues and don't offer the treatment. Their numbers are "good enough" without addressing this subgroup. Also, I'm very aware that research can say/support what you want it to in many cases.

Since the risks involved with this treatment (about the same for a patient receiving a dietary supplement via IV) are very minor when compared to the potential rewards, I'm willing to contribute to the research. Granted, since this is my first IVF, if/when it works, we won't actually know if the Intralipids were necessary. However, I'm quite willing to skip a few "control group" trials.

So, off I went today on Road Trip #5 to our clinic for a 2-hour Intralipid treatment. I packed along a good book (The Postmistress, the latest selection of my church's book club) along with some other essentials and headed out for another lovely day.


2 comments:

  1. I hope the treatment goes well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did things go? I have had to have intralipid treatments after the last 4 of my IUI's. We will be following the same protocol during our IVF cycle, too. I never had any side effects. Hope all went well! ER is almost here!!

    ReplyDelete

Live Today