Sunday, March 14, 2010

An Infertility Math Problem


Ok, so being a math teacher, I love word problems...especially those that relate to real life. But this one is a doozer:

Patient A needs to take her daily injection at the same time every morning, 5:45 AM (Central Time). This weekend, Patient A is traveling to Michigan (Eastern Time) to visit Mom. Also, this weekend, the clocks are to "spring forward" 1 hour for Daylight Savings Time.

If Patient A took her injection at 5:45 AM Saturday morning in Chicago, then what time does she set her alarm for on Sunday morning in Michigan? Remember, the clocks "jump" forward and the cell phone alarm clock "should" account for the time changes...hopefully?

Luckily, we figured this one out. But, we had to check and double check with each other about 5 times.

I don't think I'll ever use this one as an in-class example. :)

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking about the time change and how it would effect my medication too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO! I was always terrible in Math! Thankfully I do not have to start injections until later this week. Glad you got it all figured out!!

    ReplyDelete

Live Today