Friday, April 23, 2010

My Not So Typical, Yet Perfect Reveal

Monday was perhaps the longest, most agonizingly wonderful day of my life.

The day started with a trip to the lab for my second Beta test. Our clinic does two beta (HCG) tests scheduled 3 to 5 days apart. And, they do not tell you the results of the first one!

So, at 7:00 AM my tube of blood was sent off for analyzing and the results were faxed to our Dr.'s office shortly after.

After my appointment, I went to work and tried to focus on staying calm and getting through the day. I knew that my phone would not be ringing, because my husband volunteered to take the call. I just could not do it.

I learned my lesson in the past...do not be anywhere in public when the nurse calls you to tell you that you are, or are not, pregnant!

But, the Hubs promised he could handle it, so, we asked our nurse if she'd call him instead.

And she did...at 11:30 AM!

And my husband, the calm, cool, and collected man that he is, was able to go to a meeting that afternoon, drive home, pick up flowers, and keep it from me until 5:00 PM! (He later said that he really didn't know what went on at that meeting.) :)

Meanwhile, school is out for me at 2:3o, and I made it home at about 3:30. My mind and emotions were racing, and in a period of about 5 minutes I went from fully believing I was pregnant to seriously doubting that there was any way it could be possible.

Then, at about 4:00, the phone rang. The local flower shop had a delivery for me and wanted to know if they could deliver it now. Yes! What a wonderful call to receive!

About 4:30, this beautiful arrangement arrives from a dear friend who knows our journey.



The note along with the flowers listed some passages from the Bible, including Psalm 145. I immediately ran upstairs and looked it up. As I read the passages, tears began streaming down my face. An amazing sense of calm came over me, and I was once again on a high.

I felt at peace and was reminded that it is in God's hands now.

It was truly a wonderful gift.

A short time later, at 5:00, I heard my Hubs pull in the driveway. My heart skipped a beat or two. The door opened...and I couldn't help but think that my life may forever change in the next moment.

In walks my husband with a bouquet of red roses conveniently covering the smile he couldn't hide.

I looked at him and tentatively asked, "Are those a good thing, or a bad thing?"

"It's time to start celebrating!"

So, I guess that means a GREAT thing!

I immediately burst into tears. Tears of joy three years in the making poured out from my eyes and heart. I was inconsolable in the best way possible.

Through the sobbs and sniffles, I asked my husband over and over, "Are you sure?"

He pulled out his notebook (yes, he took notes while on the phone with the nurse, how cute is that?):

Beta #1 - 73

Beta #2 - 557

"Yes, Hun, I'm sure!"

Que more tears at this point, as if even possible. I finally stood up to hug him and to take the flowers, only to fall back to the ground a moment later.

So, there we sat, on the floor in the living room, with tears and smiles, and the most amazing feeling of joy and thankfulness.

I am so thankful for that moment.


After about half-an-hour of tears and shock and joy, we managed to pull ourselves together, call a few family members who were waiting on pins and needles knowing today was "The Big Day," and hop in the car to head for, where else, Target, for a home pregnancy test and a pregnancy journal.

Believe it or not, HPT's do actually work!


Of course, when I saw this, I started jumping for joy all over again!


(Yes, that is Sheldon in the background. We are definitely fans of this show, so much so, that Grandma is already considering the title of "Mema.")


So, we continue to be in shock that we are pregnant for the first time ever. We know how to not be pregnant, but we are thrilled to have the opportunity to learn what to do now that we are finally pregnant!

Thank you so much for your prayers. The love and support we have received has made a huge difference in our journey (which is still in the making), and I'm so thankful to God for this amazing blessing.

Finally, I recognize that I write this blog and share my joy at the same time that many are facing difficult streches along their own journey. Please know that you continue to remain in my heart and prayers.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! What wonderful beta numbers! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, I'm so happy for you! What a fabulous celebration...I'm impressed your husband was able to keep it quiet until he got home! Enjoy the wonderful joy of finally being pregnant:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to congratulate so late! I have been so busy this weekend. I am soooo excited for you!!! Finally, after everything you have been through you have finally been so beautifully blessed!! Congratulations!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful story Holli! My teary eyes tell me that I should've never read it at work, though. :-) So happy for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an awesome story, love it!!! Congrats!!! And your beta numbers totally rocked it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an awesome story Holli :-) Congrats! How are you feeling? Any nausea/exhaustion/weird cravings yet? Keep us updated on all the crazy pregger stuff, I love it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay..Holli..I need more updates! :) Like..How you feel? When's the first ultrasound?

    Also, had to share (kevin said last night..Holli needs to hear that!) Liliana has started saying "Hi GUYS!" "Bye Guys!" ...guess she had a wee bit of early learning from her northern friends! Love ya'll! :)

    ReplyDelete

Live Today