Sunday, January 31, 2010

Are the doors opening?

I think so.

The Hubs and I have been considering adoption and IVF very seriously the last few months...to the point of attending info sessions for adoption and interviewing RE's. As of January, we had chosen our potential future adoption agency and our potiential future RE. We had weighed the options and crunched the numbers. We had searched our souls and researched our chances.

It's February. And we've made a decision. We're going to start with IVF.

I'm extremely excited and absolutely petrified. But, we're jumping in with both feet...and the doors seem to be opening.

First, we've found a way to finance our family. (What an odd thing to have to say.) But, we are so fortunate and grateful to have the opportunity to even attempt IVF. And, it looks like we will qualify for an "outcome-based" program in which we'll be partially refunded if no baby comes home. However, we are not in this for the refund! :) The price tag is SO worth it when this all finally works.

Second, my work schedule appears to have been designed around our IVF calendar. I am currently a long-term substitute teacher (since I'm still certified out-of-state). The position I just started ends right before my IVF date starts, and then "part II" of my position begins right after our potential ET (embryo transfer...sorry, I'm not usually an acronym girl...but there are just so many in the infertitily world!).

Third, I feel that I have come to terms with the ethical issues surrounding IVF. I think the final piece of the puzzle came through a conversation with my pastor. She was able to guide me to some of the church's writings and positions on reproductive technology and adoption. While we were farily familiar with the Methodist position on these issues, it was definitely reassuring and refreshing to talk to our pastor.

Finally, I have come to terms with the fact that we will be parents someday. Our baby is waiting to find his or her (or their?) way home, if not via IVF, then through adoption. This thought brings me comfort when those very real "what ifs" plague my thoughts.

So, IVF, here we come...

Image: thepulpiteer.com/.../door-opening-to-the-sky.jpg


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on making a decision..I know it is hard, but feels so great when you do.
    Welcome to the IVF train!!

    ReplyDelete

Live Today