Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Numbers Game

I found out this week that I've lowered my cholesterol 60 points in the last 16 months! That's right, 60 points...from 201 to 141...with a 6 point HDL increase! In all the slue of pre-IVF testing that the Hubs and I have had done in the last couple weeks, this is one number that stands out to me as a real victory. (Well, there are other "victorious" numbers, for example, my husband's good looking "swimmers" which, based on a DNA analysis, are "highly fertile.")

But this number, the cholesterol number, is my victory.


Of course, this is not a competition. Good news for one of us is obviously good news for both of us. Still, since it is my body that seems to be the stubborn one, I was so thrilled to see that my year of serious dietary efforts (originally intended to reduce Endometriosis symptoms...see book image below) have made a difference for my body!


I originally had my cholesterol test (and every other test in the book) back when we first sought fertility help. You know, the initial "we've been at this for a whole year with no luck" appointment. Ha, we were such beginners.

My only "abnormal" number was 201 - total triglycerides. My doctor at the time said that this was not that big of a deal because it was only a little in the red zone. True, but why should a healthy, mid-20-something, active female have a cholesterol count even a little in the red zone. To me, it was a red flag.

Fast forward about a year-and-a-half (skipping over all the research and will-power spent on diet and yoga) total triglycerides - 141. :)

Maybe we're making some progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Live Today